Full Time Staff
- Online Communications Associate (February 2014)
The American Immigration Council is a non-profit organization founded in 1987. Through its education, law, policy and exchange programs the Council is dedicated to pursuing pro-immigrant policies and increasing public understanding of the value of immigration to American society.
The Council is seeking a skilled and energetic professional with strong communication skills to fill the position of
Online Communications Associate. Working with the Director of Communications, the Associate will be responsible for creating and implementing an online communications strategy that will increase the Council’s exposure locally and nationally and broaden its network of subscribers. The Associate will help develop effective, creative methods of disseminating Council materials in order to fulfill the mission of providing policymakers, the media, immigration advocates, academics, and other opinion leaders with accurate information on the role of immigrants and immigration policy in all aspects of American life.
The Online Communications Associate is responsible for strategic day-to-day online communication efforts including social media, online message development, tracking web traffic, . In addition to building a larger constituency of online supporters who are actively engaged in the Council’s work, the Online Communications Associate will also focus on website management and maintenance, as well as the production of the Council’s reports and publications. This position is also responsible for monitoring and evaluating how the Council should effectively engage online.
Level of Supervision Received (from supervisor)
General Supervision: The supervisor provides continuing or individual assignments by indicating generally what is to be done, limitations, quality and quantity expected, deadlines and priorities. Additional, specific instructions are given for new, difficult, or unusual assignments. The employee uses initiative in carrying out recurring assignments. The supervisor assures that the work is technically accurate and in compliance with instructions or established procedures.
Job Titles Supervised
This position may supervise interns.
Essential Job Functions
This position will perform all duties described below, as well as all other duties as assigned.
- Manage Council websites, which includes creating new pages, posting new content and providing general ideas for improvement and organization. Knowledge of Drupal a plus.
- Refresh program websites with new content weekly and cross-post content to various websites
- Update social media (Facebook, Twitter, Huffingpost) daily with immigration news, blog posts and Council publications
- Adapt, write and post compelling web copy
- Track and analyze user data/traffic patterns via Google Analtics from departmental websites and blog
- Work with developers to integrate new technology on various websites
- Train staff to update website and use new technology
- Create and execute effective online communications strategies, including list-building and targeted communications. Experience with Salsa a plus.
- Build and maintain relationships with bloggers, reporters and advocates
- Disseminate Council publications (fact sheets, reports, statements, press releases, multimedia) online
- Explore, assess and advise on appropriate and effective new media technology and tools
- Develop and implement organizational policies for effective online engagement
Email Database and Blog Management
- Update and assist in editing Council’s daily blog, working with staff and outside authors to ensure posts adhere to editorial guidelines, voice and style. Knowledge of Word Press a plus.
- Maintain, update and develop email messages in Salsa database.
- Support and train fellow staff members on database use and email communication.
- Layout online publications using Adobe Creative Suite.
- Post publications to website and disseminate via social media and listservs.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (KSA) Required
In order to perform effectively in this role, incumbent must possess the following knowledge and ability needed for this position:
KNOWLEDGE (acquired information necessary to do job, kind of knowledge required for the job)
- Ability to plan, coordinate and implement effective, new media strategies
- Demonstrated capacity to successfully move messages via social networks and new media
- Ability to lead and work collaboratively with internal and external players
- Excellent written and oral communications skills
- High levels of initiative, judgment, and decisiveness in accomplishing tasks
- Proven ability to work independently
- Good time-management skills and an eye for detail
- Ability to work effectively under occasional tight deadlines
- Excellent sense of humor
PREFERRED SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Experience overseeing the creation and maintenance of vibrant and powerful websites, and developing web and email-based communications strategies in the advocacy or campaign context
- Knowledge of HTML, Drupal and WordPress
- Knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign and Photoshop)
- Experience with content management databases (Salsa preferred)
This position requires sitting at a desk for extended periods of time; moving from place to place throughout the workday; using a PC work station for extended hours; moving and/or lifting up to 15 pounds on occasion; and communicating and exchanging information with others. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable otherwise qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and Training
Experience in similar position previously. Undergraduate degree in communications, journalism, or some related area required. Familiarity with immigration policy; non-profit or Hill experience desirable. At least one year experience in an office environment (internships included) is required with preferable experience in a non-profit setting.
Submit resume, letter of interest and a short writing sample to email@example.com. Letter must include a summary of how your background, knowledge, skill and ability relate to the responsibilities and requirements of the position.
- No openings at this time.
- No openings at this time.